Tension headaches are one of the most common forms of headache. A tension headache is pain or discomfort in the head, scalp, or neck, usually associated with muscle tightness in these areas.
Tension headaches can occur at any age, but are most common in adults and adolescents.
- Tension headaches result from the contraction of neck and scalp muscles. Causes of this muscle contraction include:
- A response to stress, depression or anxiety
- Any activity that causes the head to be held in one positionfor a long time without moving. Such activities include:
- Typing or use of computers
- Fine work with the hands
- Use of a microscope
- Sleeping in a cold room or with the neck in an abnormal position can also trigger this type of headache
- Other causes include:
- Spinal misalignment
- Eye strain
- Alcohol use
- Excessive smoking
- Excessive caffeine use
- Sinus infection
- Nasal congestion
Tension headaches are not associated with structural lesions in the brain.
Treatment for Tension Headaches
The underlying causes of symptoms associated with migraines can be relieved and corrected with Chiropractic care. Chiropractic care also works on correcting misalignments that cause headaches and relieving symptoms associated with tension headaches.
For more information about Chiropractic Neurology Center and the conditions we treat, or to schedule an appointment for consultation, contact us.